The History and Philosophy of Geography Research Group (HPGRG) of the Royal Geographical Society with the Institute of British Geographers (RGS-IBG) initiates and fosters the development of research:
- on the history and philosophy of geography and associated fields;
- on contemporary philosophies, theories and methods related to geography.
The HPGRG Committee promotes the aims and objectives of the group by:
- organising and sponsoring academic conferences;
- convening sessions at the Annual Conference of the RGS-IBG;
- supporting RGS-IBG Research Group guests;
- subsidising the costs of attendance of postgraduates at its conferences through postgraduate bursaries;
- awarding prizes for undergraduate dissertations and for public engagement of doctoral and early career postdoctoral researchers on topics that are within the group’s remit;
- disseminating information about relevant research activities via this website and the HPGRG Twitter account (@HPGRG_RGS);
- supporting the publication of research monographs, collections and related materials (including a research register);
- liaising with cognate organisations and disciplines;
- co-ordinating bids to the RGS-IBG and other bodies for grants.